MD, MA, MBA
I specialize in working at the intersection of medicine, technology and business. My passion is creating innovative products and learning new things.
2000: Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery. Delhi University. Equivalent to M.D. qualification in US.
2002: Masters in Biomedical Informatics. Columbia University, New York.
2011: MBA with major in Marketing. Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Illinois.
2018 : Google
Since 05/18: Lead, Healthcare & Life Sciences, Google Cloud. Working on go-to-market and growth strategy for Google Cloud.
2013 : Omnicell, Inc.
02/13 – 01/14: Director, Health IT Interoperability. Led the overall portfolio strategy for interoperability within the Health IT ecosystem (like EHRs, HIEs, Middleware firms). Responsible for establishing alliances with large vendors like Epic, Cerner.
2011 - 2013 : UnitedHealth Group
02/11 – 02/13: Director, HIE Product Management at OptumInsight. Led strategic vision and execution of Health Information Exchange (HIE) product portfolio with >$60M annual revenue. Responsible for a team of 15 Product Managers leading business cases, functional requirements and roadmaps for multiple product lines.
2009 - 2011 : Kaiser Permanente IT
08/09 – 02/11: Director, Advanced Analytics. Managed a team of 9+ members focused on research, evaluation and implementation of next-generation analytic tools and technologies. Also collaborated with KP Garfield Innovation Center on new clinical ideas and concepts. Supported planning and execution of provider-facing population health efforts at national and regional levels.
2008 - 2011 : Northwestern University
01/08 – 08/11: Faculty Instructor, M.S. Medical Informatics Graduate Program. It is a 11-course program that focuses on the principles of information creating and managing enterprise-wide health care information systems. It’s offered by the School of Continuing Studies in partnership with the Feinberg School of Medicine. I taught the core course on ‘Decision Support Systems in Healthcare‘.
2003 - 2009 : GE Healthcare IT
01/03 – 08/09: Various Product and Engineering Management roles. Managed a team of 7 clinicians across five product areas: Lab, Pharmacy, Acute Care, Perioperative, & Perinatal. Team identified system specifications; provided clinical verification, validation and consulting related to clinical workflow and content. Liaised with GE Global Research Center to transition relevant emerging technologies to healthcare IT product portfolio. Worked with marketing and engineering teams on workflow, design and content of products. Lead Intellectual Property efforts for the organization. Also led implementation projects for GE Centricity Clinical Information System product line.
2014 - 2017 : Dovetail Care, Inc.
01/14 – 12/17 : Founder. Seed-funded startup that was part of two incubators: JoinFFL.com, Lab360.com. Focused on products ranging from secure messaging to sensors-based hardware for health applications.
Directly managed the engineers (iOS, Android, Signal Processing expertise), design and content development teams. Did sales, business development and marketing.
2017 : Commure, Inc.
08/17 – 12/17: Consultant to founding executive team at Commure.
Since 2014: Self Care Catalysts, Inc.
02/14 – present : Advisor to founding executive team at Self Care Catalysts.
Since 2014 : Atomiton, Inc.
01/14 – present: Advisor to founding executive team at Atomiton.
2013 - 2014 : BIOInformative, Inc.
11/13 – 10/14: Advisor to founding executive team. BIOInformative, Inc. ceased operations in 2015.
2011 - 2015 : iActiveIT Ltd.
12/11 – 01/15: Board Member. Advised executive team on healthcare applications of their A.I. technology. The company ceased US operations in 2015.
- Author, “Retail Healthcare Service Model: Is it Applicable in India?” India@Kellogg: 76-77, Publication of the India Business Conference 2008, Kellogg School of Management.
- Author, “Specifying design criteria for electronic medical record interface using cognitive framework”. American Medical Informatics Association. AMIA Ann. Symp. Proc. 2003:594-8. Invited as speaker to present it at AMIA 2003 Symposium, Washington D.C.
- Co-Author, “Synchronizing Patient, Provider and Payer Relationships”. Unpublished 2008 whitepaper with Dipak C. Jain (Dean, Kellogg School of Management).
- Co-Author, “An experimental system for comparing speed, accuracy & completeness of physician data entry using electronic & paper methods”. AMIA Ann. Symp. Proc. 2003:812.
- Contributor, “A tool for abstracting relevant classes of concepts: the Common Ancestry Summarizer.” Medinfo. 2004;11 (Part 1):449-53
- Moderator, AI in Healthcare: Panel Discussion, Google Launchpad Space, San Francisco (2017)
- Speaker, Personalized Medicine World Congress 2013, California.
- Certified Agile Scrum Product Owner (2011)
- Consultant on SBIR Phase 1 NIH Grant 1R43LM010750-01, “Voice Based, Workflow Enhancing, Primary Care Medical Data Input System”. Awarded in 2010. PI Daniel J. Riskin.
- Keynote Speaker, Predictive Analytics & Data Visualization Conference at Garfield Center for Innovation, Kaiser Permanente (March 2010).
- Second place at the 2007 Business Plan Competition and ‘Mitsubishi International Award’ ($15,000) at the 11th Annual Edward L. Kaplan New Venture Challenge hosted by University of Chicago Graduate School of Business.
- Intellectual Property Lead for GE Healthcare Enterprise Solutions business (2007-2009)
- Business lead for ‘Healthcare Information Markets’ spring 2007 project with EdgeLab. (a GE collaboration with University of Connecticut Business School)
- Primary inventor on USPTO patent 8,348,839 (granted Jan 2013) and patent application 20080255875 filed by GE Healthcare in 2006-2007. Co-inventor on 3 other applications.
- Finalist in the 2003 American Medical Informatics Association Paper Competition.
- Six Sigma Green Belt, GE Corporate Certification, 2003.
- Mentor, UCSF Healthcare Lean Launchpad Program (2015)
- Co-Founder, Panaceon.com– Offering remote monitoring for movement based disorders and physical therapy. (2011-12)
- Mentor, Kellogg Venture Community (2010-2013)
- President, Healthcare and Biotechnology Club, Kellogg School of Management (2008-09)
- Co-Founder, Varna Research- A clinical data and trials outsourcing company (2007-08)
- Executive Committee Member, Indian Medical Informatics Association (2007-2008)
- Core Member, Lab. of Decision Making & Cognition, Columbia University, NY (2002-03)